Cheap Auto Insurance For Teens
By Ara Rubyan
Because young drivers are considered “high risk” drivers, many parents automatically assume that cheap insurance isn't an option. But if you know what to look for you may find a auto insurance is surprisingly affordable without sacrificing your peace of mind -- or your wallet.
Here are a few things you might consider while shopping for reduced-rate auto insurance for teens:
1) Keep in mind that you can probably add your teenager to YOUR auto insurance policy. This will be much cheaper than having your child purchase his or her own policy.
2) Many insurance companies will offer a "good grades" discount on auto insurance. Whether the student is in high school or college, a "B" average (or better) is often enough to qualify for lower rates. Companies base this reduction on the idea that good students are better drivers. So encourage your teenager to do well in school.
3) If your teen attends college more than 100 miles from home, encourage her to leave the car at home when she goes away to school.
4) Encourage your teen to share a ride with you on occasion. This will reduce the number of miles they drive per week -- which can reduce the cost of the policy.
size=2>55) Emphasize the importance of buying a car that is relatively inexpensive to repair. The insurance policy will cost less.
6) Similarly don't buy a car that is considered "hot," i.e., a car that is popular with car thieves. That will just drive up the cost of the policy.
7) Most importantly, let your teenager observe your good driving habits - they learn by example. If your teenager sees your seatbelt dangling next to the car door, you are giving him or her a reason to ignore it when he or she gets behind the wheel.
While you are bargain hunting for auto insurance, remember to think about the price AND the package. Don't cut corners. Don't strictly base your purchase on the price tag alone. Remember you usually get what you pay for. And when it comes to your young driver, You want them to be covered in the event of an accident. After all, you will be financially responsible for your young driver's wreck if the policy limit is too low - meaning you will have to pay for damages out-of-pocket.
Auto insurance for your young driver does not have to bankrupt you. There are lots of opportunities to get cheap auto insurance for your teenager if you know what to look for.
Here are some more auto insurance articles...